Friday, December 18, 2009

It Never Hurts to Ask

I think my housing saga has finally come to an end and I think it will end better than expected. Thanks to a last minute, last-ditch attempt, I think I might be doing some work/trade for the hostel I'm in in exchange for a bed (oh, and breakfast).

Over the past week and a half I've become friends with the employees at the hostel and learned about it being high-season here AND that they're doing construction on another hostel just up the road. That little bit of information was fantastic to learn for two reasons: I have construction experience and half the staff is leaving in January to go to the new hostel. People tend to need construction help towards the end of projects to meet deadlines and "free" help is the best kind. Also, once the work is done, they'll have two hostels to run, in the high tourist season, and will most likely need help.

So I asked.

And Henry (O chefe, the boss) said yes. Albeit it's going to be 36 hours a week, but it's a fantastic opportunity to meet and people and be surrounded by portuguese speakers. Then at night I can come back to the hostel and hang out with the employees (pictures coming soon) who are about my age and speak in more portuguese. Oh yea, and it doesn't cost money.

In the end, there are more pros than cons for this option and and more pros than staying in a room farther out of the city by myself. So we'll see how it goes. Also, as an addendum to my previous entry, maybe it's not so bad to wait until you arrive. I feel like I've met more friends out of necessity of finding shelter than I would have by sheepishly talking to people on the streets.

And one last thing that I find odd in Rio: There are so many key-making kiosks on the streets. I have no idea why so many people need keys made. I walked around Copacabana for an hour and I think I found about 10 different kiosks, all of which were making keys as I passed.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect situation Josh! I think it will be a great way for you to get acclimated into the culture without being too stressed out.

    Merry Christmas!

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there young man, and Merry Christmas from all of us here. I hope you are well and enjoying your trip. We think of you often and we love you
    Be Well
    Uncle Joel

    ReplyDelete