Sunday, January 3, 2010

Feliz Ano Novo e mais




It's been awhile since my last post because I'm a bit of a slacker. Everything has been great in Rio. And New Years was incredible. It's estimated that there were two million people on Copacabana beach and the fireworks were incredible.

The day before New Years there was a party in the hostel for all of the guests and it was great to see everyone hanging out and talking with each other. There were people from all over the world (Mainly Europe, Australia and the US) talking, drinking, playing pool and just hanging out. I wish the rest of the world would act like that all of the time. I feel like everyone would be much happier.

Then on New Years, around 10PM everyone made their way to Copacabana beach. The crowds were still pretty thin by the time we got there, I could walk around pretty easily and not have to push through anywhere. Then around 11:30 I noticed the crowds getting much much thicker and it was difficult to move anywhere, so we just hung out where we were, drank some champagne and watched the fireworks at Midnight. They were amazing, the whole beach lit up and everyone was yelling and jumping up and down and spraying champagne into the air and having a good ol time. Then, after the last firework went off, we wandered through Copacabana until four in the morning, came back to a little bar near the hostel, had a few beers and went to bed.

The following day was pretty quiet, most stores were closed, not many people on the streets, plenty of people in the hostel nursing their hangovers. I woke up around ten and just hun gout most of the day. At night I ended up going to Lapa (The party area in Rio) and danced in the streets. I'm getting really good at pretending to Samba by myself, although it would be nice to actually learn.

If anyone ever gets down to Rio, Friday night is the best in Lapa. There are thousands of people on the streets just hanging out and dancing. Saturday is better for clubs, there are plety of samba schools that play live music, or you can go to dance clubs that play funk (Similar to the clubs in the US) or just go to a bar and hang out.

Today I went to the beach in Barra de Tijuca (Where I took the pictures above) and it was a beautiful day. I'm still amazed by the beautiful scenery on the beaches (Not just women, also the mountains, the clear water at some beaches and the giant waves) and I don't know i I'll get tired of it too soon.

Anyway, I hope everyone back in Philly and Allentown are doing well! Any questions about Rio, let me know!

-Josh

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics, Josh! You look very handsome and tan! It's about zero degrees here in Allentown. Soak in some sun for me and bring back a few ocean breezes for me.

    Love,

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey josh, i found this blog through facebook, and i have to say that it sounds like you are having an amazing time. those pictures are unbelievable! take care, man.

    ReplyDelete