Saturday, January 23, 2010

Architecture












Welcome to Rio everyone.

I finally went around and took some touristy photos; hopefully this will help you get a taste of the city. I think there's something oddly amazing about the contrasts in this city. There is new and old, bright and dull.

All around the city you see newer buildings juxtaposed with beautiful old architecture. Recently (I'm not sure how recently) the city of Rio enacted a series of laws dictating how much you can alter a building. Some can't be touched except to be repaired, others you can only change the interior and other you just can't touch the front facade. It's pretty amazing to see a building built about two feet behind the facade of an old building. I'm sure you can find some wonderful metaphor within that, but I'm not that much of an abstract thinker.

As for bright and dull I think it describes the city perfectly. There is such a great sense of hope for the future and a pride for their past and their culture. And I'm not sure what else to say here, someday soon the thought will gel into something tangible and I'll write about it here.

Including these contrasts I absolutely love the architecture here. I'm always finding something different and amazing. It's great to see some buildings that were built before the US was founded and to see the current houses in the favelas where shacks are just thrown together and practically stacked on top of each other. It really is something I would have never seen in the states.

And as for what I'm up to these days, well, I'm still working. However, on a more exciting note I changed my flight home to the 17th of March. After Carnaval (Maybe around the 18th of Feb.) I'm going to do some traveling to the south of Brazil and into Argentina. I'm hoping to stop in Ilha Grande, Sao Paulo, Curitiba, Florianopolis and Buenos Aires. I figure since I'm already a hemisphere away from home I might as well see some of the continent. If anyone has been to any of those places and has some insight on things to do, let me know.

And to close, advice (More of a suggestion of something to try) to fellow or future travelers:

Don't plan everything.

When I went to Europe I planned my whole trip: Buses, trains, hostels, flights, locations. For me it became a thorn in my side. I was always worrying about making the bus or squeezing everything into a short amount of time. If you can do it, I say try to leave it open. That way, if you really enjoy a place, stay an extra night or two, or if you don't, head out sooner. You might meet someone in your travels who tells you of an amazing place to visit (For me: Ilha Grande) and as long as your schedule is flexible you can see things you may not have seen otherwise.

As always, any comments are appreciated.

Boa Noite,
-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment