Monday, February 1, 2010

Language

I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome that no one thinks I'm from the united states. Last week someone thought I was from Portugal, this week from Argentina. And when I tell people I'm from the United States they usually respond with "and you speak portuguese!?" It really is quite wonderful.

The US has such a bad reputation for wanting to understand other cultures and learn other languages. I think everyone should be required to learn at least two languages before they're 18.

2 comments:

  1. And yet most people never leave the US, let alone learn another language. I had a similar thought to yours when I spent a summer in France in high school. I thought if only everyone would do this, world peace would break out! My annoyed mother responded that traveling abroad was the norm for the upper classes that run the country (Bush excepted), and we have yet to see anything like world peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Estonia you do have to learn at least 2 foreign languages in school. I think its cool you Josh speak portuguese and dont have to say that "im from South Canada" or smth like that :)

    Greetings,
    Alar

    ReplyDelete